Thursday, September 9, 2010

Jesus on your locker

Ah, school is back in session.  It turned fall up here in Michigan last week.  The weather is chilly and school busses are everywhere.  I remember going to school and what that first week was like.  I felt excited and scared.  Scared that my old friends from last year might not like me anymore, or that I wouldn't find my classes, or that I forgot to wear pants (yes, I had that dream) and excited to start a new year fresh, new beginnings.  I had so much hope and confidence.  But it only took a few days for that to begin to change.

My relationship with Jesus was non-existent at that time.  Oh, I was a "christian" meaning I believed Jesus was God's son and that he raised from the dead for my sins.  But, I didn't really have a relationship with him.  My acceptance with Christ was temporary.  I accepted him at church, but expected him to stay there.  Sadly, I was like Peter who said, "I don't know that guy".

I wish I could've had more of Jesus in me at that time.  I wish I could've taken the time to know him and understood how much he loved me and my friends.  So many people at my school needed a friend.  Or sometimes just a kind word.  I wish I could've been the person they knew wouldn't judge them by their clothes or hair.  I wish they would've looked at me knowing they could be safe and I wouldn't tell anyone else what was going on in their life.  But sadly, I was the one that judged everyone.  I didn't have very many friends because of that.  I was unwilling to make new friends, especially if the person wasn't popular, or if they smelled.  sigh.  The funny thing about that is I wasn't popular.  And everyone thought I was stuck up because I was judgmental.  I wish I could go back sometimes and change it all because the truth is even if I had great intentions that first week of school, that second week came.  And then the third week...fourth week....fifth week...and then it was over.  I influenced no one.

I encourage you guys to find a Jesus partner now.  Find a friend at your school who wants to make a stand or even just be strong for Christ.  Meet early and pray together and invite others to do the same thing.  Pass encouraging notes to one another in the halls.  Leave encouraging notes on peoples lockers that might need it.  Let's get creative in Christ!  It doesn't matter what people say, they are watching and when they need a prayer they will know who they can trust.  You CAN make a difference at your school.  So stand together and start loving with the Love of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment